April 4th, 2019
5 BEST tips to protect you from ATM skimming
In light of the spate of ATM scams going on here and in Bali recently, it is time to look at ways to protect yourself.
ATM skimming (or physical skimming) has been around for years in-fact ever since the birth of automatic teller machines and the roll-out in the 1980’s. Lately the criminals are getting even more advanced in there brazen perpetration of this crime, from gas pumps to store terminals and even bank ATM machines it seems the criminal will stop at nothing to get your hard earned cash.
We at Armourcard know all about many types of skimming and Armourcard protects you from RFID wireless skimming of your ‘Tap & Go’ cards. ATM skimming (Your card details being skimmed at a machine) has no real protection other than your vigilance in protecting yourself every time your withdraw money from a ATM.
Here are our 6 best tips you should do when your at a ATM machine – EVERY-TIME
1. Always pull, push, shake and rattle where you put your card in (in-fact try to remove it) gently…
2. Drum, pull or push and rattle all around the ATM to see if anything else is loose like the keypad. (you may get some strange looks but it is worth it so you don’t get skimmed)
3. Look for a camera overhead or a pin-hole camera above the key pad or even in a pamphlet holder that are sometimes attached to an ATM (directed at the keypad)
4. Always cover your hand when putting in pin. (Yes obvious we know, but you would be surprised how many people forget this basic step. (Especially when your in a rush or being distracted)
5. After you have put your pin in, place your entire hand flat over every key on the keypad to transfer heat signature. (you do this because criminals are using your heat signature left by your fingers to get your pin-number, for example, the first digit of your pin will be cooler than the last digit you put in through the colour spectrum.) so a clever way to mess that up just places your hand over the keyboard for a second or 2. (This can be done while you wait for your cash)
Never re-put your pin number into retrieving your ATM card out of a machine, as shown in the recent Bali scams by doing this it opens up your account again for the criminals (often within the store after you leave) to come in and empty your card. If your card gets taken then leave it in the machine they cant empty your account without the open gateway (so do not put your pin in again which opens the gateway) accept your card is lost and call your bank.
By doing this you are helping to protect yourself from the way these criminals skim at these machines whether with a camera, heat signature or devices attached to machines.
Do it every time.